Would you consider yourself to be a gazpacho aficionado? Next Tuesday, May 1 is National Gazpacho Aficionado Day, so we thought we’d help you become a gazpacho admirer with our very own secret recipe.
To help you celebrate the day, we’re also giving you a few ideas for a lovely “gazpacho bar” to entertain with or for some fun with your kids!
Skipjack’s Gazpacho Recipe
- 2 Cups Chopped Red Onion
- 2 Cups Chopped Green Pepper, seeds removed
- 2 Cups Chopped Red Pepper, seeds removed
- 2 Cups Chopped Cucumbers, seeds removed
- 3 Cups Chopped vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 Cups Peeled and Chopped Celery
- 2 Tbl. Garlic
- 1 Tbl. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Cayenne
- ½ Cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbl. White Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Cups Tomato Juice
- 1 Tbl. Freshly Chopped Thyme
- The day before you want to serve, combine all ingredients in a large container (makes about a half-gallon). Let marinate overnight.
- Blend until smooth in a blender the next day. Adjust the texture with tomato jucie or water if necessary. Adjust seasoning with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Serving to your guests
We love the idea of creating a gazpacho bar. All you need to do is create the gazpacho base (use your own recipe or try the Skipjack’s recipe above) with bowls for serving. Then prepare several different toppings and place in separate serving dishes on the side.
If you want to really want to WOW your crowd, be sure to check out some of the toppings we use at Skipjack’s to make our gazpacho an over-the-top delight. Alongside the bar leave some white corn chips, people love dipping into the gazpacho as if it’s a dip!
Chef Andrew’s Favorite Toppings
“I always like adding some contrasting textures to the pureed soup. So I will serve this in a large soup plate sprinkled with a mixture of different vegetables.”
- diced red and green pepper
- diced cucumber
- ripe grape tomato wedges
- Fresh cilantro leaves adds a fantastic zing
Skipjack’s WOW Factor Toppings:
- Chilled poached salmon,
- grilled shrimp,
- lump crab salad,
- marinated mussels and
- smoked trout
If you’re craving gazpacho, but don’t have the energy to make it yourself, look out for Skipjack’s Gazpacho on our menu in mid-June!
What are some of your favorite toppings?